The Telegraph 2024-04-30 16:00:41


Live Police give update after boy, 14, killed in sword attack – watch live

The suspect in a knife attack incident is in hospital after a 14-year-old boy was killed, and four others were injured, in a sword attack.

Police said they were called shortly before 7am this morning amid reports that a man brandishing a large blade was attacking members of the public in Hainault, north east London.

Five people were injured in the “terrifying incident” after witnesses described seeing a man “running around with a samurai sword” who “stabbed people after crashing his van into a house”.

Speaking at a press conference in Hainault this afternoon, Assistant Commissioner Louisa Rolfe said a man, who had been tasered and arrested, was in hospital.

AC Rolfe said: “The 36-year-old man arrested at the scene is currently in hospital having suffered injuries when his van collided with a building.

“He has been arrested on suspicion of murder. At this time, given his injuries, we have been unable to interview him.

Police confirmed this afternoon there was ‘no trace of a prior incident’ between them and the suspect after speculation about his background.

License this content

King admits cancer diagnosis was a ‘bit of a shock’

The King said it was a “bit of a shock” to be given a cancer diagnosis, as he met fellow patients in his first public engagement since starting treatment…

Watch: China attacks Filipino ship with our reporter on board – here’s what happened next

Nicola Smith, The Telegraph’s Asia Correspondent, was aboard a Philippine coast guard ship accompanying fishermen near the disputed Scarborough Shoal in the South China Sea on Tuesday when her vessel was attacked by the China coast guard

I was standing on the deck of a Philippine coast guard ship when a Chinese vessel opened fire with its water cannon.

The powerful jets of water initially looped into the air – but within seconds they had begun to batter our craft, pounding down on the stern.

There were moments of chaos: Filipino crew members dived for cover, screaming instructions to each other.

A small team of journalists, including myself, ducked inside a narrow passageway as water sprayed in all directions. The crew dragged the most precious bits of equipment – and the ship’s American Bulldog named Six – under the steel roof of the passageway.

For five minutes, the Chinese ships circled our ship, which took evasive action to try to weave between them, while constantly firing the water cannon.

This was a rare first-hand example of the kind of intimidation tactics Beijing has deployed to prevent Filippino authorities from accessing the Scarborough Shoal, a valuable fishing territory that falls within the Phillippines’s borders but China now lays claim to.

In the safety of the passageway, all you could hear was the thundering of the water and more frantic shouts of the crew.

The ship’s canopy broke in the intensity of the strike and the vessel took two more direct hits under a sustained assault of about half an hour.

Then after another half an hour, our ship turned around and returned to join a smaller ship about 12 nautical miles behind us.

The Telegraph was on board the 40-metre-long BRP Bagacay, which was tasked with protecting the BRP Datu Bankaw, delivering fuel and food to local fishermen.

The Datu Bankaw was also penetrated by a water cannon and rammed on its side by a Chinese ship, partially flooding its interior. Its radar was damaged in the confrontation.

Chinese authorities are working aggressively to deny Filipino fishing communities access to the shoal, which on Tuesday was ringed by a floating barrier.

In carrying out the mission on Monday, Manila was signalling to Beijing its intent to assert its claims over the Scarborough Shoal, which is claimed by both countries but lies much closer to the Philippines.

The shoal, a chain of reefs and rocks covering 58 square miles, including an inner lagoon, was administered by the Philippines until 2012, when China effectively seized control after a standoff between Chinese and Philippine vessels.

The incident led to a landmark international arbitration case brought by Manila that successfully challenged Beijing’s historical claims to most of the South China Sea, including the shoal.

The International Court of Arbitration in the Hague ruled in 2016 that China’s claims over the entire resource-rich South China Sea were invalid.

But Beijing has ignored the court’s decision, continuing to beef up its patchwork of military outposts on artificial islands, while dispatching its so-called maritime militia, coast guard vessels and navy to intimidate and squeeze out rival Southeast Asian claimants to the waters and its features.

Its growing presence in the South China Sea has triggered suspicion that it is working to seize control of access to crucial global shipping routes in international waters.

Recent muscle-flexing between Beijing and Manila, which is strengthening its alliance with the United States under President Ferdinand Marcos Jr, has raised fears that a maritime clash between the two nations could escalate into a much wider international conflict.

Soaked by spray and bunkering down by the door to the ship’s deck to evade the high-powered water jet, I could witness first-hand how dangerous behaviour by the China coast guard could trigger an accident that could quickly escalate.

The journalists and Filipino crew huddled in the dark narrow corridor as the jet stream pounded heavily on the exterior of the ship, at its peak resembling a tropical storm.

It was alarming to see the lengths the Chinese coast guard flotilla went to in order to prevent access to the shoal.

All morning, they had played a high-stakes game of maritime cat and mouse as they tailed the two Filipino ships for about three hours. The first Chinese coast guard ship was spotted as dawn broke just after 5am.

As the Filipino convoy came within 24 nautical miles of the shoal, the chase intensified, with China pursuing at high speeds and intermittently cutting directly in front of the ship’s bow.

There were occasions when the Chinese veered so close – within about 20 or 30 metres – that the Filipino captains had to slow down or take evasive action to avoid a collision. Sailors waited on standby on deck, holding orange buoys strung together to be deployed as buffers.

Crews on either side observed each other at close range. On the bridge of the Filipino coast guard vessel, the officers stared intently at their counterparts with binoculars, some filming the encounter. The Chinese crew reciprocated.

The Chinese vessels’ purpose was evidently to block their path and to isolate the two Filipino ships, and to do so, they relentlessly performed dangerous and intimidating manoeuvres to try to force them back towards the coast.

The Filipinos were outnumbered, pursued by at least five ships, while a Chinese navy ship sailed parallel and watched from a distance.

The Filipino crew was in radio contact with the China coast guard, requesting them to back off and also reading out a statement asserting the Philippines’s claims to the shoal.

As the reef neared, the Bagacay accelerated, attempting to take the heat from the Datu Bankaw, which had put out a call to nearby fishermen to collect its supplies.

The China Coast Guard eventually pulled back and as the Bagacay came within 1,000 yards of the southern entrance of the shoal, it spotted a 380-metre barrier of white buoys – yet another obstacle in its path.

The sea was unusually calm as the crew dispatched a drone to examine the artificial boundary. It was then that the Chinese pounced, attacking the ship with water cannon from both sides.

The Philippine coast guard condemned China’s actions.

It said it had assigned its vessel to “carry out a legitimate maritime patrol in the waters near Bajo De Masinloc” with the “primary objective to distribute fuel and food supplies” to support fishermen.

“During the patrol, the Philippine vessels encountered dangerous manoeuvres and obstruction from four China coast guard vessels and six Chinese maritime militia vessels,” it added.

The damage by the cannons “serves as evidence of the forceful water pressure used by the China coast guard in their harassment of the Philippine vessels.” 

The confrontation, although shocking, was not a rare incident in the South China Sea, where Chinese vessels have frequently deployed water cannons, lasers and other bullying tactics against the Philippines and any other ships they believe to be intruding on their territory.

The Philippines praised its coast guard for standing its ground. “They were not deterred and will persist in carrying out their legitimate operations to support Filipino fishermen and ensure their safety.”

The convoy later that day turned back towards port owing to the damage to the supply vessel.

Their crews – this time – were unscathed, but such incidents are a risk they must frequently face in the battle to control the strategic South China Sea, on the front line of tensions that many fear could spark the next international conflict.

License this content

Patients wanting single-sex wards have been treated like racists, says Health Secretary

Patients who ask for single-sex wards should not be treated like racists, the Health Secretary has said.

Victoria Atkins made the remarks as she proposed changes to the NHS Constitution to ensure that women have the right to accommodation that is only shared by those of their biological sex.

Previous NHS guidance from 2021 said trans patients could be placed on single-sex wards on the basis of the gender with which they identified.

Women’s rights campaigners said the situation left female patients who asked for intimate care from a woman pressured into accepting care from staff who were born male.

Ms Atkins told The Times: “We have heard farcical stories that claimed patients who demanded to be on single-sex wards were equated to as racists. This cannot be right.”

The constitution, updated every 10 years, aims to set out the principles and values of the health service and set out legal rights for patients and staff.

Under the proposals, the constitution will state: “We are defining sex as biological sex,” in a landmark move.

The significant shift follows accusations that the health service had been captured by “gender ideology”.

The proposed changes enshrine the right to ask for intimate care from a health worker of the same biological sex.

Maya Forstater, chief executive of the gender-critical group Sex Matters, welcomed the proposed changes, saying healthcare providers had become “confused and frightened by the idea that a gender recognition certificate, or even just a personal identity claim, overrides other people’s rights when it comes to same-sex care from healthcare professionals”.

The draft constitution, now subject to an eight-week consultation, also places a duty on health providers to use “clear terms” to communicate and take account of biological differences.

It follows pledges from ministers to stop NHS trusts using terms like “chestfeeding” and “people who give birth”.

Ms Atkins said that attempts by the NHS “shouldn’t have to eradicate women from our language in order to be inclusive and welcoming”.

She told Sky News: “We know that in some parts of the NHS some language is used which is meant, with the best of intentions, to be inclusive, but it can, I think, also actually exclude people.

“For example, I visited a wonderful maternity unit recently full of warmth and joy and happiness with wonderful members of staff, but they were talking about ‘service users’ and I realised after a while they meant women or mums-to-be or mothers, the language that we would use in conversation when talking about someone having a baby.

“So that sort of language… we shouldn’t have to eradicate women from our language in order to be inclusive and welcoming.”

The eight-week consultation will be the first stage of a review of the NHS Constitution.

The Government will consider responses from the public, clinicians and medical professionals, patients, carers and organisations representing patients and staff and health stakeholders, before publishing its response and a new NHS Constitution.

License this content

Duchess of Edinburgh becomes first royal to visit Ukraine since Russia’s invasion

The Duchess of Edinburgh has become the first member of the Royal family to visit Ukraine since Russia invaded more than two years ago…

Pictured: Man, 67, whose remains were found in Salford nature reserve

Police have named a 67-year-old man as the victim in a murder investigation launched after human remains were discovered in a nature reserve.

A spokesman for Greater Manchester Police said detectives believed the torso found in Kersal Dale Wetlands, near Salford, was that of Stuart Everett, who lived in the area.

On Monday, Michal Jaroslaw Polchowski, 68, and Marcin Majerkiewicz, 42, were charged with murder.

Formal identification has yet to take place, but DNA samples have been sent for urgent forensic analysis to confirm the identity, Greater Manchester Police said.

The torso – consisting of the bottom of the back, buttocks and thigh – had been wrapped in clear plastic. It was discovered by a passer-by on April 4.

Remains were found at two more locations over the weekend, and on Monday morning police said there had been a further discovery in an alleyway close to railway lines off Worsley Road.

A police spokesman said: “Specially trained family liaison officers from GMP have been deployed to support Stuart’s family during this incredibly difficult time. 

“In the last 48 hours, they have heard the most devastating news that anyone could hear, and our thoughts remain with them as they begin to process this.

“Our fast-moving investigation has rapidly progressed over the last three days, and throughout the investigation we have seen many resources deployed to Salford.”

Investigations are continuing to build a fuller picture of the circumstances that led to Mr Everett’s death.

Det Supt Lewis Hughes, from Greater Manchester Police’s serious crime division, said: “My officers and detectives, alongside additional resources from across the force, have worked tirelessly over the last three days to secure charges.

“We are grateful for the public’s continued help and support throughout this case. We understand the shockwaves this has caused throughout the community and beyond, and we hope you are reassured by the pace of our investigation and also our large police presence in the areas as we continue to make inquiries.

“We have officers drawn from different teams and units in GMP who have helped us search, and their efforts do not go unnoticed. They have all played an important role to help us get to this stage in our investigation.

“We said right at the start that our investigation will not stop until we have every stone unturned, and this continues to be the case. Our investigation has been a huge process so far, and we will continue to push forward in our inquiries to find answers for Stuart’s family.”

Mr Polchowski and Mr Majerkiewicz, both from Worsley Road, Eccles, were remanded in custody after appearing at Manchester Crown Court on Tuesday. They will next appear in court on July 18 for a plea and trial preparation hearing.

A provisional trial date of March 3 next year was fixed by Judge Nicholas Dean KC, the Honorary Recorder of Manchester.

License this content

Missing migrants earmarked for Rwanda ‘will probably turn up in Ireland’

Migrants earmarked for the first deportation flights to Rwanda will disappear and “probably” end up in Ireland, a former Border Force chief has warned…