INDEPENDENT 2025-04-02 20:13:45


Women’s Prize unveils fiction shortlist featuring four debut novelists

The Women’s Prize has announced its shortlist for fiction, featuring works that explore personal freedom, the search for identity, and the tension between Western values and cultural traditions.

New voices feature heavily on the shortlist, with four of the six entrants being debut novelists. They are Aria Aber, Sanam Mahloudji, Nussaibah Younis and Vale van der Wouden.

Aber’s Good Girl explores the complexities of a dual identity for a teenager who is born in Germany but ashamed of her Afghan heritage.

Younis’s Fundamentally follows a de-radicalisation programme for ISIS women ran by the United Nations in Iraq, and explores the ethical questions surrounding Western intervention.

Mahloudji’sThe Persians, a family drama told through five women whose fate is intertwined with modern Iran, explores the question of whether it’s possible to free ourselves from our past.

Another debut work is In The Safe Keep by Vale van der Wouden, which follows a woman in her thirties who lives a solitary existence in her late mother’s home but her life is upended when a young woman moves in. The book tackles the impact of emotional repression, historical amnesia and themes of sexual desire and self-discovery.

Narratives of women challenging society’s expectations around motherhood, ageing, self-perception and sexuality also feature strongly on the list.

Miranda July, who has been shortlisted for a second time, portrays an artist’s quest for a new kind of freedom in her mid-forties when she immerses herself on a road trip in All Fours. July is an established filmmaker and performance artist, and she has previously published a short story collection.

Elizabeth Stout’s Tell Me Everything returns to characters from her bestselling novel My Name is Lucy Barton, as the characters narrate their hopes and regrets in their later years. Stout, who is the author of nine other novels, has been longlisted for the prize twice (2014’s The Burgess Boys and 2016’s My Name is Lucy Barton) and shortlisted once for her 2000 book Amy & Isabelle.

The six works were selected by a panel of five judges – Kitde Waal, Diana Evans, Bryony Gordon, Deborah Joseph and Amelia Warner – which had been whittled down from a longlist of 16 authors.

The winner will be announced on Thursday, 12 June at the Women’s Prize Trust’s summer party in central London, alongside the winner of the 2024 Women’s Prize for Non-Fiction. The winner will receive a cheque for £30,000 alongside a limited edition bronze statuette known as the “Bessie”, created and donated by the artist Grizel Niven.

The Women’s Prize for Fiction 2025 shortlist is as follows:

Kit de Waal, Chair of Judges said that the shortlist selection celebrates “rich, multi-layered narratives that will surprise, move and delight the reader”.

“Over the past three decades the Women’s Prize for Fiction has celebrated imaginative, accomplished novels year after year, and in doing so has helped change the landscape for fiction writing in the UK.”

“Over the past six months, my fellow judges and I have been knee-deep in reading our submissions, consumed by the fully-realised worlds created by an incredible range of voices. Now that we arrive at the announcement of our shortlist, what seems absolutely apparent to me is how perfectly each of these six novels exemplify the original tenets of the Prize: originality, accessibility and sheer brilliance.”

“What is surprising and refreshing is to see so much humour, nuance and lightness employed by these novelists to shed light on challenging concepts. I’m in no doubt that these six novels will become the classics of the future.”

Six in 10 people dissatisfied with NHS, major new poll reveals

Almost two-thirds of people are dissatisfied with the NHS, according to a major new poll which reveals a “startling collapse” in the public’s view of the health service.

The British Social Attitudes (BSA) survey of more than 10,000 adults across England, Wales and Scotland found that 59 per cent of people said that they were either “quite” or “very” dissatisfied with the way the NHS runs – the highest level of dissatisfaction reported since the survey began in 1983.

Nearly one in 10 people also reported they have been harmed by the health service in recent years, with the highest levels of harm reports in hospitals.

The survey, which was carried out in autumn 2024 and has been published by the Nuffield Trust and the King’s Fund, shows sharp drops in satisfaction with particular services, including A&E, GPs and dentistry.

However, the findings suggest people still believe in the founding principles of the NHS and the majority believe it needs more money and staff.

Healthcare bosses warned the findings were a “wake-up call” for the NHS.

The survey found that 9.7 per cent reported that they had been caused harm by the NHS in the last three years. This includes 6.2 per cent who reported harm as a result of treatment or care and 3.5 per cent who said that lack of access to care had caused them harm, according to the survey, which took place in late 2021 and early 2022.

Of the 988 who reported physical or emotional harm, 37.6 per cent reported a “moderate impact” and 44.8 per cent said they had suffered a “severe impact” as a result.

The report authors said the last time the Labour Party was in office, public satisfaction stood at 70 per cent.

They said that level of satisfaction “feels almost unreachable in today’s more pessimistic times” and added the public’s pessimism was reflected in the government’s proclamation just weeks before the survey that the NHS was “broken”.

Interim chief executive of NHS Providers, which represents NHS hospitals, Saffron Cordery said: “These figures must be a wake-up call for the NHS.

“While public support for the fundamental principles of the NHS is still rock solid, it’s clear radical action is needed across the board to restore the public’s faith in the NHS and turn the tide on falling patient satisfaction.”

The news comes following announcements by the government that it will abolish NHS England, the organisation responsible for the health service in England since 2010.

Bea Taylor, Fellow at The Nuffield Trust, one of the report’s authors, said: “Just five years after the British public were called on to “Protect the NHS” at the start of the pandemic, these findings reveal just how dismayed they are about the state of the NHS today.

“The government says the NHS is broken, and the public agreed. But support for the core principles of the NHS – free at the point of use, available to all and funded by taxation – endures despite the collapse in satisfaction.”

Responding to the survey, Scottish Health Secretary Neil Gray said: “Patient safety is paramount and we are committed to ensuring all health and care is safe, effective and patient-centred.

“When things go wrong we expect NHS Boards to fulfil their statutory duty to be open with patients about what happened and to learn lessons to prevent it happening again.”

A Welsh Government spokesperson added: “We want any harm or concerns about care provided by the NHS in Wales to be reported so that it can be investigated thoroughly and openly.

“We are making the complaint process simpler so that the NHS can respond quickly to feedback, learn when things go wrong, and continuously improve the quality of care provided.”

A spokesperson for the Department of Health and Social Care in England said: “When things go wrong in healthcare, the NHS must learn from it and provide compassionate support for those affected, particularly the most disadvantaged or vulnerable.”

An NHS England spokesperson said: “The NHS has made significant progress in strengthening patient safety – including a nationwide programme of training and education – and we recognise there is still more to do to improve care for patients by providing better access to services and reducing health inequalities.”

Celebration destination: Enjoy life’s biggest moments in the Caribbean

With its turquoise-coloured waters, reliably blue skies, and unparalleled natural beauty, the Caribbean is one of the most desirable destinations for a special getaway. From Antigua to Saint Vincent, St Lucia and Barbados, each island offers something a little different – whether you’re looking for a romantic honeymoon retreat, the perfect place to celebrate a milestone birthday, or a fun spot to enjoy a week (or two) of active pursuits with family and friends.

Sandals’ all-inclusive, adult-only resorts are the perfect way to enjoy the islands in luxurious surroundings. Dotted across the Caribbean, each resort has its own unique identity while staying true to the five-star Sandals ethos. But which one do you choose for your own personal celebration?

Here we look at a range of celebrations worthy of an unforgettable holiday and the perfect Sandals resorts to enjoy them in.

If you like your holidays to be as adventurous as they are relaxing, you’re sure to love the many activities offered at Sandals Grande Antigua and Sandals Saint Vincent. Explore the ocean bed with Sandals’s very own comprehensive PADI® Certified scuba diving programmes, and see beautiful reefs and shipwrecks up close alongside the professional supervision of PADI® certified staff and Newton dive boats. There’s also a wealth of water sports available including kayaking and paddleboarding or, if dry land is more your thing, why not spend your days playing beach volleyball, croquet, and tennis? All activities are included at either resort making your trip hassle free and flexible.

If you’re looking for somewhere to make a real occasion of a celebration or simply hide away on a romantic getaway, the Royal Barbados resort is one of Sandals’s most elegant options. The resort offers an extra level of extravagance that makes every day an unforgettable experience – from swim-up suites, Rolls Royce transfers from the airport when you stay in select suites, to a rooftop pool and restaurant, and catamaran cruises. There’s even a bowling alley if you fancy some good old-fashioned fun, or an alternative option for a date night.

On the beautiful island of Curaçao, lies the Sandals Royal Curaçao resort nestled within the heart of Leeward Antilles. The resort has plenty of opportunity for more intimate stays in its seaside butler bungalows complete with private pools and soaking tubs, while private cabanas and local tours leave you plenty of options for making an anniversary or birthday feel extra special. The parties around the pool or on the beach also make this a fun destination for celebrating a loved one.

Jamaica plays host to a number of Sandals resorts that make the perfect destination for honeymoons and group trips alike. The Sandals Royal Caribbean, for instance, offers over-the-water private villas complete with glass floors, hammocks and butler service, on the resort’s own private island. Ocean-view and swim-up rooms also offer a first-class experience for groups and friends spending time together. Alternatively, it’s hard to imagine a more romantic stay than at Sandals South Coast, where you can stay in spectacular, luxurious overwater villas arranged in the shape of a heart, offering an unmatched connection to the turquoise waters of the Caribbean Sea and rich marine life below.

Meanwhile, the Sandals Ochi resort in Jamaica offers the best of both worlds for honeymooners and party goers (or those wanting to enjoy both) with private butler villas, white sand beach, and 11 unique bars. Its vibrant atmosphere is ideal for those wanting to relax and party during their stay.

While every Sandals resort offers a luxurious experience, if you’re really looking to splurge and treat yourself, the re-imagined Sandals Royal Bahamian should be on your wishlist. Located in Nassau in the Bahamas, it has everything you could dream of from a holiday destination. Swim-up suites with butler service will help you leave the stresses and strains of everyday life behind, while pristine-white beaches, an award-winning Red Lane spa and 10 specialty restaurants will make your stay as enjoyable as it is relaxing. A short trip by boat will also take you to the Sandals private island with its own bar, restaurant and pool. Luxury adventure tours around the island will also make exploring the rest of the island easy and convenient.

St Lucia is one of the most beautiful and picturesque islands of the Caribbean, and our top destination for visiting with parents. Resorts such as the Grande St Lucian sit on their own peninsula with 360 degrees of volcanic mountains and crystal-clear ocean views to enjoy. As such, it’s the perfect place for making mum or dad feel truly appreciated. In addition to five grande pools, there’s also a Cap Estate Golf & Country Club for serious parental bonding time, not to mention a range of outdoor activities including reading road trips where guests meet children from the island, Catamaran sunset cruises, and carnival experiences.

Discover Sandals’s full range of Caribbean resorts here

What does Marine Le Pen’s conviction mean for France and Europe?

Marine Le Pen, de facto leader of French far-right party Rassemblement National (RN), is banned from contesting any public election for five years after being found guilty of embezzlement.

She says she will appeal but this will take time and possibly puts her planned bid for the French presidency in 2027 out of reach.

Her unexpected conviction has been met with a fierce backlash from allies across the world, notably including President Donald Trump and Giorgia Meloni, prime minister of Italy. Viktor Orban, prime minister of Hungary declared on social media “Je Suis Marine!”.

France, already unstable after the snap parliamentary elections last summer, now has the prospect of public protests in support of Le Pen.

What did Marine Le Pen do wrong?

A glib answer would be that she got caught. She was arraigned on charges of embezzling funds from the European parliament, of which she was a long-term member, for more than a decade. She did not personally benefit from any such activity, but it was found that she had diverted monies intended to be used for her work as an MEP into her cash-strapped political party. This was against the rules and a criminal act, but experts on the ways of the European parliament attest it is a not uncommon practice across the political spectrum.

Her supporters say she is the victim of a conspiracy by the French state to prevent her bid for power in 2027. Her critics argue that, whatever other people were up to, she is not above the law.

Certainly not immediately. The injunction against her standing for election doesn’t affect her status as a member of the French parliament, and the four-year nominal jail sentence would only begin after she has exhausted all the possible legal avenues to lift the ban or reverse the verdict.

Even if she is unsuccessful, she wouldn’t be incarcerated: she would serve two years under surveillance wearing an ankle bracelet, and then a two-year suspended sentence provided she stays out of trouble. She is also liable now for a €100,000 fine.

Hard to say, but it could take so long, and be such a distraction, that it effectively takes her out of the running for the Elysee Palace.

Yes. It comes after Romanian courts cancelled a dubious election marred by Russian interference and as the former president of Brazil, Jair Bolsonaro, faces trial for conspiring to overthrow his freely-elected successor.

Only Trump has bucked the trend, making a remarkable comeback after his 6 January 2021 insurrection and now the beneficiary of a Supreme Court decision granting him wide immunity from prosecution in the pursuit of his official duties.

It is huge. Le Pen was the favourite to win the 2027 contest, and already holds an effective veto in the French parliament, and, thus, on President Emmanuel Macron’s domestic agenda. She has made him a lame duck at home, and she had high hopes of succeeding him.

As the European Union’s second largest economy after Germany, now exercising its traditional role as political driving force in Brussels, France matters.

Le Pen probably would not now try to lead France out of the EU – that would likely mean a referendum – but she and her numerous far-right allies across the continent and in the European parliament, could steer it in a radically different direction. The populist/nationalist/far-right hold power or exercise influence in most EU member states, notably Italy, the Netherlands, Hungary, Slovakia and Finland – with the AfD in Germany now the official opposition. It would not take much to turn the EU into some sort of Trumpian power.

With Le Pen out of the running for the French presidency, it is much less likely Europe will fall into the hands of extremists.

Yes, and she could easily run the government from the back seat if another RN politician won. The problem for the RN is that her long political career and her profile mean that she’s much the best – possibly the only – credible candidate they offer. The nominal leader of the RN, Jordan Bardella, is a 29-year old protégé of Le Pen and close to the family; but he lacks experience and few have much confidence in him as a candidate for the next president of the republic.

On the other hand the right-wing backlash from the Le Pen judgment might actually galvanise her movement and propel it to success. Certainly the RN will remain a significant parliamentary bloc, which spells a prolonged period of “immobilisme” if the presidency is held by some more centrist figure – remembering that Macron cannot again.

Provided Le Pen remains barred, in a stronger position. Le Pen and her various political vehicles have long been sympathetic to Vladimir Putin and would be unwilling to commit French forces in the east. As for Brexit, Le Pen would be unwilling to grant any special treatment to the UK, in trade or in defence.